Monday, May 16, 2011

Stawberry Freezer Jam......YUM YUM!

When the children were small, we had a vegetable garden and fruit trees.  My husband loved to till the garden and plant...but I loved to preserve the bounty that garden provided.  I mean...I loved every part of that process.   I cut corn from the ears and froze it, made chili sauce, kosher style dill pickles, sweet gerkins, canned tomatoes, a great pear relish...you get the picture.  But at my age, not even sterilizing the jars thrills me.

However, every year a friend of Roger's that sells to restaurants is in a contest to sell the most flats of Driscoll strawberries.  Being a native Californian, he thinks Driscolls are the only ones to have and wanting to help her he buys several flats and gives them to neighbors, etc.  This year he gave me two flats instead of one.  In years past, I could easily consume one flat in salads, with cereal, etc;  But two......hummmmm.  I'd heard about freezer jam so I began to look for a recipe on the 'puter.  As it turned out, the one on the SureJell site seemed the best and I thought they probably knew more about it that anyone, so decided to give it a try.

The recipe was simple...containers, berries, sugar and SureJell.  In order not to have to sterilize or have glass in my freezer, I opted for Rubbermaid Take Alongs, which have screw tops and are freezer safe.  The following photos will 'tell the tale'.  :)
 The Recipe:
 1 quart strawberries, stemmed, cut in quarters and crushed equaling 2 cups crushed berries
 4 cups sugar
 1 box SureJell
Ready, Set, GO
1 quart berries, stemmed,cored & quartered
Crushed and 2 cups measured out

Add 4 cups granulated sugar
Mix well and let stand for 10 min, stirring occasionally
Stir 1 box SureJell and 3/4 cup water in small saucepan,bring to a boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 min, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat
Stir pectin mixture into fruit, Stir Constantly until sugar in completely dissolved and no longer grainy, about 3 minutes. (a few sugar crystals may remain)
Ready to portion
I put about 1 1/3 cups into each clean container
 When the product is cool, screw on the lids and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours.  Then you can freeze for 1 year or put in refrigerator    for 3 weeks.                     
ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!

                 
Of course 2 days after freezing I just had to put one in the frig to thaw and  the next day had some on a piece of toast.                                               

I can think of several ways to use this jam.....if you try it, you will too.  Now I'm looking forward to the Oklahoma Blueberries, Blackberries and Peaches being ripe so I can do it all over again.   I even believe when my jalapeno chilis get ready I'll make some freezer jelly to put over a block of cream cheese.  :)

No comments: