Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Taboli..or...Tabouli...or..Tabouleh...or Tabbouleh

Taboli



No matter how one spells it....it's a dish I love.  The Bishop Brothers in Bristow, OK have been packaging bulgar wheat for over 40 years.  For a lot of those years I tried various recipes and bought it pre-made at various places.  It would either be too acidic or too much parsley...you get the point.  Then I bought Taboli Wheat by the Bishop Brothers and the recipe on the back was the perfect blend for my palate.

The recipe is actually for 16 os. of bulgur wheat...but half that amount supplies me with several days of good eating. What follows is their recipe.......cut in half!

Today I had to fight off the honey bees from down the street who LOVE the flowers on my oregano to get to my fresh Italian parsley...but well worth it.  When I ran my knife through the pile of parsley it sounded like someone taking a bite of a crisp apple.  After chopping it FINELY, I used several paper towels to wrap it in and squeezed water through the 'bundle' to remove excess chlorophyll so my taboli wouldn't have green hues.  :)  Remember to remove all the insides of the tomatoes...no one wants a watery taboli....and take the time to chop all veggies finely....no one wants a big piece of tomato or onion with nothing else on the fork.     'No One', you understand, is ME.   lol

Old Fashioned Recipe  (using 8 oz. of bulgur wheat)

Pour 8 oz. of  Whole Grain Bulgur Wheat into large tea strainer, rinse and drain wheat.  Put wheat in a large bowl.

Add oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir Well.
 1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1/2 cup Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Oil....I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Then add:
1 1/4 cups Finely Chopped Parsley
1/2 cup Finely Chopped Onion
1 3/4 cups Finely Chopped Tomatoes (cored & seeded)

Add chopped veggies, mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours, stirring a few times.

Suggestion: Add 1 bunch green onions, or 1 Tbls mint or 1 finely chopped cucumber or any vegetable of your choice.

Here's what you get for your effort........................

YUM, YUM!!!!!

2 comments:

A said...

Looks great Tillie!
And I love your new header :-)

Anonymous said...

Your grandmother hated tabouli! It has always been part of holiday dinners at the Melton house as well as enjoying it on occasion with a steak (because Freddie's in Drumright made us addicts). As the kids grew up we begin to take it to mom and dads for special gatherings and Aunt Gusta would snarl her nose each time and boldly proclaim her dislike of that stuff. lol We also love it at our house mixed with cream cheese for an amazing chip or veggie dip.