Thursday, April 22, 2010

Springtime in Tulsa...........BEAUTIFUL......Courtesy of Woodward Park

Today I took the camera with me to 'town' and, after finishing an appointment, went over to Woodward Park......part of the Tulsa Garden Center.  I put together a Picasa Album with the pictures......hope you like them.
 http://picasaweb.google.com/tillieannie/WoodwardParkGivesAShowySpringtimeToTulsaOklahoma#
Here's a sample  :)


When I was a mere child....before I was older than dirt.....Tulsa was known as the "Oil Capital of the World".....all the oil companies were headquartered here.  Then in the early 60's they began to move to Houston.  Today, Phillips (actually in Bartlesville) is all that remains of those headquarters.  It was then, as is now, a beautiful city!  It's situated on the Arkansas River in the foothills of the Ozarks and the State calls it "Green Country".  :

Tulsa was settled by Muscogee(Creek)Nation Indian Tribe and the Council Tree, where the City was established, still stands......my family is proudly part of that Tribe.  The City still has several Art Deco buildings; 
a lovely park downtown....Centennial Park; 





an open air shopping center...Utica Square...which opened in 1952 as Tulsa's first suburban shopping center (tho' today it would be called 'midtown')....has stood the test of time with very upscale shopping; The Philbrook Museum of Art Center....home and grounds formerly Waite Phillips' and wife; Gilcrease Museum...now houses the world's largest, most comprehensive collection of art of the American West begun by Thomas Gilcrease, a Creek Indian whose Indian allotment produced a MAJOR oil field (My Daddy likes to tease that if our family's Indian land had been 10 miles further South, that Museum could have our name attached to it),

When I first saw the movie Cars, I couldn't help remember how we traveled from Illinois (moved there just before I began high school) on Route 66 and how beautiful I thought the skyline was......sort of standing on a hill.....with the lights on at night.

Well....seems we all....sooner or later...return to our Roots.   One of my cousins felt I was losing touch with my Roots after I'd lived in Texas for many years and she sent me postcards of Woodward Park to remind me the loveliness of the City of my Roots.  :)  :)  (thank you Deanna....I really never forgot)

2 comments:

Grace Givenz said...

Beautiful pictures, Tillie!

A said...

Ah how lovely!!